I’m pretty sure this is the best salad ever. I found it on the aptly named damndelicious website and it definitely is that. It’s high in protein, with chicken, bacon and egg, and also has 3 different veg as well as beans for an added bonus. The only (arguable) downfall of its brilliance is that it really needs to be a main/evening meal. And it definitely doesn’t need any accompaniments.
You can be a bit flexible about the ingredients: the first time I made it I left out the avocado and the second time I made it I left out the egg, and both times it was perfect and totally enough for an evening meal. I also changed a few things from the original recipe; poaching the chicken and just using caesar salad rather than making the suggested dressing.
It’s pretty low prep – you basically just need to poach the chicken, cook the bacon and the rest of it is chopping and layering on the salad.
Ingredients (for two, main meal):
- 4 slices bacon or turkey rashers
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- BBQ sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn
- 4 tbsp black beans
- caesar salad dressing
- Poach the chicken breasts and when cooked, cut into small pieces (or neat, uniform cubes) and dress with the BBQ sauce.
- If you’re having the egg, boil this too – I usually do 5 minutes in boiling water. When it’s done, rinse it under cold water to cool it, and then peel and chop it up.
- Pan fry the bacon or turkey rashers and also cut into smaller (or neat, uniform) pieces
- On the serving plate, create a bed of lettuce. Then, in even strips, add over the top of the lettuce:
- serving of beans
- chopped tomatoes
- bacon or turkey
- Once it’s all pretty on the plate, drizzle over the caesar salad dressing and dig in!
The hardest part of the salad is fitting it all on the plate and making each strip of vegetables the right width for it to be photographic!