Let me just say, the meal is as great as this photo is out of focus! It’s super healthy in terms of ingredients and cooking methods – hardly any oil or fats are used in cooking and there’s not really any carb elements either.
When I made this I made enough for lunch the next day, but I have to say the next day’s lunch wasn’t anywhere near as nice as the freshly prepared meal was the day before.
What you need for two servings:
- 2 chicken (or turkey) breasts
- preferred seasoning (see note below)
- 60g quinoa
- 600ml chicken stock
- 60g dried apricots
- 1/4 of a pack of 250g pouch ready to use Puy lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 3 spring onions
- fresh herbs like coriander or parsley
- any ingredients for salad or other side dish
- The first thing to do is preheat the over to Gas Mark 6.
- While that’s heating, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and season as to your preference. The original recipe referred to shop bought cajun seasoning, which, after a quick search, I decided to make myself. It was basically equal amounts of cumin, paprika, ground coriander, with about half the amount of dried oregano and some salt and pepper.
- Put the oil and seasoning in a baking tray or oven dish, and add the chicken, mixing until thoroughly coated. Then bake for around 20 mins.
- Cook the quinoa in the chicken stock according to pack instructions for about 15 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, roughly chop the pepper and either add to the chicken or fry on high in a pan to give it a bit of a char. Any other veg can probably easily be substituted (or added to bulk up the meal) at this point.
- Finely chop the apricot and add to the quinoa along with the lentils about 5 minutes before the quinoa is finished.
- Slice the spring onions on the diagonal and add in at the last minute.
- If you’re having a salad on the side, prepare this now.
Mix everything (except the salad!) together and you should find that the quinoa sticks to the chicken and everything combines to make a delicious, spiced, high protein, filling meal!