This is really delicious and pretty healthy. You can vary the amount of chilli and therefore temper the piri piri-ness, but it’s great for a weeknight meal to blow the cobwebs away!
The initial idea is from Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals – and took me about 45 mins to cook even when leaving out some sides and the suggested dessert! But I’m quite happy to keep remaking it until I have it down in under 30 mins!
Ingredients (for 2):
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on and bone on (remove skin and/or switch to breast for lower fat versions)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 potato
- half a lemon
- 1 red chilli
- fresh coriander
- 50g feta cheese
Piri Piri sauce:
- 1 red onion
- 1 red chilli
- 2 lemons
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- large bunch fresh basil
- any salad you’d like on the side (I skipped this as it’s deep dark winter)
- Preheat the over to Gas 6/200C, and put a large griddle pan on a high heat
- Put the chicken skin side down and slash the meat a few times, then drizzle with olive oil and season on both sides, before placing in the griddle pan, skin side down, to cook
- Peel and halve the potatoes and place in a microwaveable bowl with the half lemon. Cover with a double layer of cling film and put in the microwave on full power for 15 mins.
- Then prepare the piri piri sauce, keeping an eye on the chicken and once the skin has browned sufficiently. In a blender, place all the sauce ingredients, peeling and quartering the onion before adding. Add a bit of water until you have the right sauce type consistency and blend until smooth.
- Slice up the peppers into strips or chunks and add to the griddle pan, turning the heat down to medium.
- While they’re cooking, pour the sauce into an oven dish or roasting tray that will snugly fit the chicken and peppers. Add the peppers, and then the chicken, scattering over the thyme sprigs. Place in the middle of the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Chop the red chilli and coriander and crumble the feta in a serving bowl for the potatoes. Then, check the potatoes are cooked through and add to the chilli coriander mix and gently turn over to combine the ingredients.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and plate up!